fredag den 27. marts 2009

Folk please!



Image by: Þórdís Magnea Jónsdóttir






I have recently discovered a new passion for folk music which is one of the reasons why I paid some extra attention when I first heard the singer-songwriter Jakob Faurholt. His music is not pure folk but more in the direction of rusty folk-pop and the number of instruments are kept at a strict minimum. It´s basically just him with his guitar.

Jakob Faurholt released his third album in february called "Are You In The Mood For Love?" The record does not exactly contain a lot of hit-potential songs, but sometimes that can be a quality in itself. It´s usually the hits that you are skipping past after a while anyway. The album is mostly dark ballads with only one more upbeat track. "Irish I´m not" has already become my favorite song together with "Rusty country cage" despite that it for some unknown reason is bothered with an on purpose discordantly guitar solo. You can hear them both and more on his Myspace page.

I especially enjoy Jakob Faurholt´s deep, introvert voice, and the lyrics actually have some stories behind them about the less pretty sides to love and what it sometimes does to people. The lyrics reminded me a bit about the Scottish indie pop band Belle and Sebastian who despite their seemingly cheerful sound has some cruel stories to tell. Jakob Faurholt does not reach their level with his lyrics but it´s still admirable that he goes further than the majority by giving the texts some character instead being satisfied with smooth, bland love-songs. 

Somehow it´s the simpleness of Jakob Faurholt´s music that makes it most attractive to the ear. I so easily get fed up with especially indie rock that wants to add too many musical effects instead of cutting into the bone and be more sincere. I guess that´s why I have felt so comfortable listening to folk music lately, it relaxes me because it usually does not try to pretend to be something it´s not. 







Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar