søndag den 29. marts 2009

Give me Loveshop not Unmack!



Image by: Letsfaceit






The charismatic singer-songwriter Jens Unmack are out now with a new solo-album called "Hestene løber som dage". Apparently he has hired The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra, which pervade the whole record and on some tracks it gets a bit too much with all the string players. 

I have always been more a fan of "Loveshop", where Jens Unmack is the front figure, than of his solo carrier. The strong and poetic Danish lyrics and the soft 1980´s inspired rock/pop, have always been able to put me in a nice, day-dreaming mood. 

But "Hestene løber som dage" does not reinvent the musical sound of Jens Unmack. I can´t help feeling that I have heard it all before on his too former solo albums "Vejen hjem fra Rock´n´Roll´" and "Aftenland Express". It´s as if he just wrote them on autopilot. 

Loveshop was shortly reunited in February this year for one night because of the death of guitar player and producer Hilmar Hassig who had been an important member of Loveshop before the band got dissolved. Hilmar Hassig died tragically in a car accident last fall, and the revenue from the concert in Vega went to his two children. 

But a part from that I don´t get my hopes up that they will get back together any time soon, especially not after the loss of Hilmar Hassig. I think I will just stick to my old Loveshop albums, since I have a hard time imagining that Jens Unmack can reach the same level on his own, even if he was the primus motor behind the band. Something is simply lacking on his solo records, he gets close, but not close enough. 


Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar